Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Drake Bell - Honest (EP Review)

Image result for honest drake bell
Today, I will be reviewing the new EP from Drake Bell as he steps into mainstream pop, and go through promotion strategy.
Release date: 30 June 2017 (or 5 July 2017?)
Record label: DB Records
Genre: Pop
Best songs: "Rewind", "Honest"
Worst songs: "Leaves"
Rating: 7/10

Let's see... I don't know the details, there are two ways this could have happened. One, you actually did release on the 30th and it somehow flew over my head, and Bell decided not to post about it till the 5th, a Wednesday (note the official release date for music is a Friday). Or Two, you did release on the 5th, and it's mislabeled as the 30th.  Either way, it's only two tracking days for its debut week, but eh.

So, let's get to the EP itself. There is not really a plot line to this that at least I see, except for maybe a failed relationship, but eh, it's an EP. The first track is "Leaves", a nice upbeat track with hints of electric guitar. Now, Drake Bell's falsetto... it's not a Justin Timberlake falsetto. It sounds good, but it doesn't sound heavily supported, and it sounds far brighter than his modal range, as he tends to be dark as a tenor. While his falsetto was never great, I do have a feeling it's gotten a bit worse. Just my opinion. Then we get "Honest", which would have been perfect as a single since the production sounds like "Shape Of You" and "Cheap Thrills", with the synths, it's a pretty by-the-numbers pop song. How he says he's not perfect, but he's still "honest", and he's telling his lover to be honest with him. Which is ironic since this is more of a project made to go mainstream. Then we get "Run Away", and I like the song. It's a decent pop song, and the falsetto sounds better, but still pretty thin. And you can tell the upper notes are a bit harder for him. Has a pretty good drop though. Then we get "Rewind", the closing song, and it has nice organic production, a Spanish guitar, a good pop rock tune that's more of a ballad that could have fit on It's Only Time. But here's my main problem. Lyrical content wise, these songs are pretty basic for him, it seems formulaic, and wanting to be popular again. It shows a musician approaching middle-age who wants his youthful years, his relevancy back. He's basically trying to be Justin Bieber on this project, and while he does show he can do it better than Bieber, from such a talented musician, he can do better.

Look, a VERY light 7/10. It's decent, I guess. Some good writing is still here. And his charisma well makes this project. But for me, I feel like Bell will not do better than his first two albums. Maybe that's just me being petty. I feel like I'm one of those fans who leave the fanbase of a metal band once they start getting popular. That aside, coming from someone who loved his first two albums... look, it still will get into my playlists for a bit, but it's not his best work.. Just saying. And I'm not seeing this is a bad release, far from from it, it's pretty damn good pop music. Also, the short length. I think it being longer would have been a bit better for me.

So yeah, thanks for reading, feel free to comment if you've heard it, which you likely haven't, because it's not like it'll be topping charts anytime soon. I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure what I'll be reviewing or talking about next, so if you got a suggestion for that too, feel free.

No comments:

Post a Comment